Thursday, November 8, 2012



Who am I?

When I first asked myself this question, I immediately thought, "Well, I'm Cole Ashby. Duh!" Who else would I be? After reevaluating the question and taking a different perspective, it's a deeper question than meets the naked eye. I think of myself as a student athlete. Student first. I take pride in the hard work and study time I devote to my schoolwork, but I wouldn't be able to sit in that dreadful school without being able to look forward to some sort of athletic practice or competition later!  Athletics is a big part of my life and has almost characterized my life for as long as I can remember! But nothing matters to me as much as my faith. I grew up in a catholic family where we went to church on Sunday and ate breakfast at my grandparents house after. I have been raised to believe in my faith and glorify everything I do to the Man upstairs. 

I am Cole Ashby.  That is the legal name I was given from my parents, Jeff and Heidi.  I was the second of three children and most people that know my family and are around my family might say I am the "favorite child".  I'm not complaining.  My older sister, Jenifer, is 21 and goes to the University of Nebraska-Omaha.  My younger sister, Reagan, is 5 years old and just started kindergarten this past August.  I looked up to my sister, Jen, when I was younger and used to think she was the coolest thing since sliced bread, but then I woke up (just kidding Jen, don't punch me).  That sentence right there pretty much describes Jenifer and I's relationship-tough love.  When we were growing up together, we'd fight and we'd punch each other and we would get super violent, usually after I beat her at volleyball, but that's beside the fact!  But, we do love each other.  We provide each other with advice and she helps me with my schoolwork and I help her with hers.  We study for tests together and we help each other in anyway we can!  Reagan is the brat.  She gets everything she wants after a few cries and whimpers.  I love her to death, though!  Since Jen left for college, Reagan has pretty much been the person I hang out with the most.  I love trying (key word: trying) to teach her how to play sports.  We worked on softball for a good hour one day before her T-ball game, and the next day I got a text from my mom that read, "Reagan just hit off the pitcher and it went to the outfield!"  I've never been so proud of something in my life.  I love being a mentor for someone and knowing that someone looks up to me.  I'm sure a lot of people reading this blog are thinking, "Why is he writing about his sisters in the 'Who Am I?' section of his blog?"  To answer that question, it's because my family has shaped the person I am today. 

I'm a high school senior right now and am having to make some of the hardest decisions of my life right now.  I'm trying to decide where to go to college, who's going to pay for it, what I'm gonna do for the rest of my life, and how to get Reagan to be my roommate for the next four years! I think I have decided on the first one and will be attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, assuming I get accepted.  For the second question, that is where most of my free time will be spent-filling out scholarships.  The third one is something I've wanted to do since the little brat I call my sister was able to walk; I would like to be an elementary teacher.  After helping raise Reagan and teaching her new things, it inspired me and led me in the direction I think I'd like to go for my career path! My dad is someone I've always looked up to and he is a teacher and when I used to go to school with him, it was amazing to watch him have such an impact on so many young kids' lives. He is also a high school football coach and that is definitely something I would like to pursue.  I guess you can kind of say, I'd like to follow my father's footsteps.  The fourth question is kind of a joke, but I do know I'm gonna miss the crap out of Reagan and will be coming back home as much as possible!  As far as the person who I could accredit most of my attributes and accomplishments to, that would be my mother. She has been through it all with me.  From driving me to Lincoln to play baseball at the age of 9 to helping me decide what college I'm going to go to.  She's that woman that whenever I lose something, she knows exactly where I left it last! She's the parent us kids ask first for anything, because she always says yes. Sorry mother, it's true.  She is one of the most caring individuals I have been blessed to be around and I just so happen to get to call her my mom!

Now it's time to get cheesy! I've heard the spiels on high school relationships and I've heard the statistics on how many high school sweethearts actually make it to college and beyond. I could care less about the odds and stats.  What I do care about is the best friend I have gained from meeting my beautiful girlfriend. I was the "cooties" kid who wouldn't get near a girl in elementary school and still thought girls were stupid and annoying until, well, about 8 months ago.  Her name is Connor Fischer.  If we were measuring on a whole inspiration per minute scale, Connor would rank the highest.  I couldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that a girl I met a mere 8 months ago would have such an impact on me.  She has been such an aspiring woman to me and has truly made me a better person. She has shaped the person I am today and it still amazes me on how the girl with cooties has ultimately made me open my eyes to how one person can really change a life, and to make sure you are nice and courteous to all your peers because God put them in your life for a reason, so cherish them!

When I first got the assignment that my English teacher, the wonderful Dr. English ;), wanted us to write 750 words on the topic, "Who Am I?", I thought she was crazy!  There's absolutely no way I could write 750 words about me.  I just don't like talking about me.  That is why I went in a different direction of talking about my family.  They have been the most inspirational people in my life and I love them to death!  But seriously, WHO FARTED?



















3 comments:

  1. Cole,

    Each time I read or hear you read something, I am amazed by your writing talent! I just chuckle, gasp, or sit back in awe. You will be a great teacher! But if that doesn't work out for you, you can be a writer! I can just imagine you in your classroom, writing away with little fourth graders! Bravo!

    Dr. English

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole,

    Your family has had a big impact on your life. They have been there for you all of the time. You are right, who would have thought that you could 750 words about yourself without sounding like you are the best thing in the world? It's a lot easier than you think and it is worth it.

    Ben Grossnicklaus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cole,

    It seems to me like your family, friends, and girlfriend have all made you who you are today! That's awesome. They are all positive people and I'm glad they have shaped you into the person you are today. GREAT WRITING! I'M A FAN OF THAT PIECE!

    Tanner Griffith

    ReplyDelete